The only cathedra of oncology gynecology in Ukraine was founded in 2007 and was headed by the doctor of medical science Kartashov, an ex-pupil of professor Tomara Pavlova (1925-1915). He continued the science work of Kharkov school of oncology gynecology, which was founded by professor Serfaima Pavlenko (1903-1975).

In the end of XIX century gynecology got apart of the clinical medicine as an independent science and clinical discipline. At the beginning of XX century one more independent clinical specialty – oncology gynecology also got apart from gynecology. The points of its study are tumors and pre tumors conditions of female genitals and those points take huge place at the female diseases.  The premise for oncoly gynecology to exist as an independent medical discipline were achievements in anesthesia, successful laparotomias of ovarian tumors, efficient use of intracavitary and distant irradiation of the pelvic organs, successful experience of chemotherapy when treating choriocarcinoma, hormonal therapy with some forms of endometrial cancer and others. The right to exist for oncology gynecology as independent discipline was proved by creation European Society of oncology gynecology in 1986-1988, CIS Society of oncology gynecology in 1989-1998, Ukraine Society of oncology gynecology in 1996-1998.

In Kharkov city oncology gynecology as a science and clinical discipline was founded after the second World War (1945), headed by professor Pavlenko, who, after graduating from postgraduate institute and defended the thesis at the Leningrad central science research institute of obstetrics and gynecology named after Ott, professor Pavlenko since 1959 till 1975 was the head of oncology gynecology department at Kharkov science and research institute of medical radiology and since 1959 till 1975 was the head of the oncology cathedra.

Actually cathedra of oncology was reorganized from the habilitation in 1941, but started working as it is in the beginning of July 1945. It was based at Ukrainian roentgen – radiology oncology institute, headed by professor Povolotskiy. In different years it was headed by professor assistant Mikhedko, professor Gurevich, professor assistant Vorontsov, professor assistant Mironov. In 1946-1955 two thesis were defended, 15 science works were written and 95 doctors were studying. Other classes were also given to students of other circles in the common complex (1949 there were 664 doctors).

In march 1959, after 4 years break the cathedra started to function again, headed by professor Pavlenko. Since 1959 till 1966 the cathedra made 24circles of classes for improving gynecologists and 5 circles for improving oncology surgeons. There were also written 46 science works and 2 dissertations (Postnikova I. and Rembez A.) While these years the principle of delivery of health care, accepted at the Leningrad central science research institute of obstetrics and gynecology was started. It means that all the ways of treatment, showed by this patient, were made by one doctor. It did not make interruption also for using surgery, radiation and medication treatments and it also showed great continuity with dynamical supervision, individual choice of optimal combination of sequence of the use of medical factors. The techniques of oncology gynecology operations, that provided the rules of anatomy, care to the tissues, aseptics and ablatics, turns in making operations and futularity while removing pelvic tissue to regional lymph nodes.

Since 1971 the head of the cathedra is professor Miloslavskiy based at Kharkov Oncology Center. Since 1966 till 1981 the cathedra made 39 circles of classes for improving gynecologists and 39 circles on oncology surgery with 1469 doctors generally. On common circles 4749 doctors also studied oncology gynecology. The cathedra made 6 collections on oncology, 500 science works, 11 studies, 3 author patients on inventions, 13 rational propositions. 67 diagnostic treating methodic were invented and provided for use, were graduated 5 postgraduates and 20 clinical ordinates.

I shall admit that after the transfer cathedra to Kharkov Oncology Center the principle of the treatment of each patient had changed, as there were different departments (surgery, radiology, chemotherapy). Choice of the treatment method, sequence, rational combination of methods, regimes and rehabilitation are now defined at clinical examination, where all specialists take their parts. As a clinical base Kharkov Oncology Center became a hothouse for introduction of science based research results and the Kharkov Oncology Center doctors became guides of Kharkov way in oncology.

The circles of oncology gynecology in 1975-2000 were headed by professor Tomara Pavlova, a medical doctor, a great clinical surgeon, a scientist, author of more than 200 science works, one of which is monograph “Oncologynecology” (2006; 2015 coauthors professor Knyazeva M, c.m.c. Prokopyuk A.) written, based on her lectures on oncology gynecology.

The evolution of science researches in Kharkov Oncology Center can be divided into three points.

  1. 1945-1970 – study, rationale, improvement and introduction of combined methods of treatment oncology patients. Special attention was paid to the research of cervix cancer.
  2. 1971-1990 – further improvement of diagnostic methods and treatment of oncology diseases.
  3. 1991-2000 – mostly research of specialties of diagnosis and treatment of two main locations of cancer ovarian cancer and endometrial cancer.

Lately the cathedra puts all its strength to improve combined and complex treatment patients, paying more attention to their individual specifics using new technologies and trends.